What are dermal fillers?
The dermal fillers used at SoCal Lazer & Medi-Spa are made from substances such as hyaluronic acid, which closely mimic natural bodily substances.
Brand name fillers like Juvederm™, Radiesse®, Belotero®, Perlane®, and Restylane® are injected into the face for a variety of reasons. Dermal fillers can soften wrinkles, fill in creases, enhance lips, and fill in depressed scars. They can also be used to contour areas like the cheeks, and can also replace lost volume in nearly any part of the face. Dermal fillers can create a more youthful look without invasive procedures or surgery. Dermal fillers are temporary, lasting anywhere from six months to two years.
Common areas of treatment:
- Lip Enhancement
- Nasolabial Folds – Smile lines
- Cheek enhancement
- Hollow temples
There are several dermal fillers on the market, such as Juvederm™, Radiesse®, Belotero®, Perlane® and Restylane®. Our staff will recommend which dermal filler is best for you.
What are the most common areas for dermal filler treatment?
The most common areas for dermal filler treatment include:
- The lips
- The nasolabial folds, also known as the smile lines or marionette lines
- The cheeks
- The temples
What is Botox?
Botox is a wrinkle treatment that causes a mild paralysis in the facial muscles where it’s injected. This mild paralysis means that the muscles can’t keep contracting in the way that created the facial lines. You’ll still be able to move your face after Botox, but it’ll just be more difficult to form wrinkles again.
Where can Botox be injected?
Botox can smooth away lines from areas like the crow’s feet at the edge of the eyes, the vertical lines between the eyes, and the horizontal lines on the forehead. If you suffer from either fine lines or more ingrained lines anywhere on the face, Botox may be the solution.
How long does Botox last?
Botox generally lasts from three to four months in most patients. However, with regular touch-ups, the Botox injections may have more longevity.
How can you prepare for dermal filler or Botox treatment?
You should follow several guidelines in preparation for dermal filler or Botox injections, including:
- Abstaining from alcohol for a minimum of 24 hours pre-treatment
- Avoiding blood thinner medications like aspirin, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, or NSAIDS for two weeks prior to treatment
- Avoiding herbal supplements including St. John’s Wort and Omega 3/fish oil for two weeks before treatment
- Discontinuing Retin-A use at least two days prior to treatment
- Eating a full meal prior to treatment, as this can help reduce the chance of being light-headed during the procedure
What should I do to prepare?
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment (alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising)
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications for a period of 2 weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, St. John’s Wort, Omega 3/Fish oil, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule your Dermal Filler and Botox appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending. Temporary bruising and or swelling may be apparent in that time period.
- Discontinue Retin-A 2 days before and 2 days after treatment.
- Reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours in advance if you have a cold sore or rash on your face.
- Be sure to have a good breakfast, including food and drink before your procedure. This will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.